Saturday, February 5, 2011

'Those balls aren't on fire'...



Last week Jennifer and I saw Cirque du Soleil Dralion. Cirque de Soleil shows are one of the fifty coolest things you could ever see. This was the third one I've seen. I have included the trailer above. This way you can get a visual sense of the acts I write about along the way.

Everything (except for the clowns. I hate clowns) was awesome. Every act is jaw dropping. The problem I have is with the clapping. The appropriate reaction to every moment of the show is this.



But I never know exactly when it is okay to clap. If I whoop it up while the lady is flipping around (without a harness) on a hula hoop suspended above the stage will I mess her up? If I lose my crap during the juggling display will I cause the performer to drop the pins? So instead I end up sitting on my hands politely clapping at the end or at pauses during the performance.

The rest of the crowd follows the same pattern with the polite clapping. Again, this is some of the most amazing stuff we've ever seen. The audience reaction doesn't do the performance justice. I wonder if the performers feel under appreciated. There wasn't even a standing ovation at the end.

It seemed as though most people while they were clapping were leaning over to their neighbor saying, 'That was cool but those balls, hula hoop, rope, trampolines, rings etc. aren't on fire.' Has having weird/crazy/amazing things at our finger tips on YouTube inhibited our ability to appreciate incredible when it is right in front of our faces?

No comments: